You can make this with other fruit, too. I’ve tried it with raspberries, but because the batter is so thick I ended up poking them into the pan one by one so they wouldn’t disintegrate. You know how raspberries can be – like some of our friends who fall apart at the slightest agitation. We love them anyway, though, right? Let me know what delicious various you come up with! Check out my recipe below.
- 5 T butter (not margarine)
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 2 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 c. whole milk
- 2 c. blueberries
- 6 T butter (not margarine)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in half the flour mixture.
- Beat in milk.
- Add the rest of the flour and beat only until combined.
- Stir in fruit.
- Pour into an 8 x 11″ greased baking dish.
- Use a fork or your fingers to smash together topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.