A weekend in October is the best for getting out and revelling in the weather and making great memories – one of the greatest times to relax and enjoy yourself with family and friends. Think about it: you’re not shopping for Christmas gifts, stuffing a turkey, worrying about whether everyone will appreciate the vacation you’ve planned, or hoping Easter dinner works out. You’re not mulching in the hot sun or weeding a garden or shoveling 28 inches of snow. Your biggest October concern is likely what kind of candy to hand out for trick or treaters or what your costume is going to be this year. Ahhh. Love it!
Here’s a sample of some fun things just waiting for you this month.
- October 1 – Bridge Bust is like a giant Antique/Craft/Food/Stuff Fair on a bridge – the Rte 462 bridge between Columbia and Wrightsville to be exact. Obviously it’s closed traffic or that would be no fun, but you can shop the 1 and 1/4 mile bridge with a $2 admission charge. Check it out at PaRivertowns.com.
- October 1 through Mid November – Field of Screams has gotten bigger and better every years since the joint opened. Never having been because personally, I can’t see the point in paying someone to give me nightmares (but I know some of you are into scary), I hear from guests about the frightfully good time they’ve had, haha. Go to Field of Screams for more info about events and tickets.
- October 6/7, 13/14. 20/21 – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is an interactive play being presented at the Rockford Plantation. It’s staged inside the mansion and you get to tour the joint by candlelight and talk to Ichabod Crane and his cronies. Tickets are $15 and the place sells out every year since each performance is limited to 20 guests. You can get your tickets at Rockfordplantation.org.
- October 6-12 – The Best Kept Secrets Tour is totally for you if you love shopping, exploring out-of-the-way places, surprises, food, and gifts. If you’ve never been on one of these, it’s a fun way to see the county, and you have seven days to drive to the shops of your choice. Here’s the trick – you don’t know what the places are until you purchase the ticket and get the guide. It’s worth the $9. For tickets go to Best Kept Secrets Tour.
- October 8 – Chocolate Walk in Lititz can be a dream come true for chocolate lovers. Your pre-purchased ticket is your magical pass to leisurely explore the town while divulging in candy-licious treats from 10am-4pm. One year they even had a chocolate fountain! To find out more go to Chocolate Walk.
- October 8 & 9 – 57th Annual Harvest Days at Landis Valley Farm Museum represents an historical celebration of a year’s work for folks in
a Pennsylvania German community from 1740-1940. You can go on wagon rides, taste heirloom fruits, take part in demonstrations and pick pumpkins. Find out more at Landis Valley Museum. Incidentally, I spent two years teaching 7th and 8th graders there with the entire acreage as our classroom. Pretty cool.
- October 21-31 – Best Fall Foliage occurs in Lancaster County. While leaves are turning throughout the entire month, according to the Pennsylvania Weekly Fall Foliage Report this is the very best time to enjoy the beautiful colors of the season, whether it’s a weekend or week day. And it’s free. Take that, Field of Screams!
- October – Brubaker’s Corn Maze is a 14-acre maze right here in Mount Joy and is totally affordable for only $5 per person. At the end of the journey there’s a campfire and little snack bar, then you get a wagon ride back to your car. Get the low down on this and other fun mazes by clicking on this Guide To Amazing Corn Mazes.
- October – The American Music Theater offers a pretty good variety of live shows, where you can purchase tickets for anything from Jay Leno to Abba: The Concert to The Price Is Right game show. And here’s the bonus: the theater is right across the street from outlet shopping. Cha-ching!!
After all that running around, you’ll be happy to relax on the porch or balcony at Olde Square Inn or to grab something fabulous to eat at one of nearby restaurants. At the end of the day get ready to snuggle into one of our cozy beds made up with soft, soft Comphy sheets for an unbelievable night’s sleep.
Wake up to a deliciously hot, three-course breakfast and you’ll be ready for the new day’s adventures.
October is a busy month around here, and you want to be sure to reserve your room now for your great October weekend. To book your room you can go to our reservations calendar or you can call me at 717-653-4525, and I’ll be happy to help your arrange your stay. I’m looking forward to seeing you soon!